Georgia Community Learning Center, Georgia
Serving with the GCLC
Bringing Biblical education to public high schools
I'm now in my fifth year of teaching for The Bible Class. I has been amazing to see God work all along, and this year has been no different. Once again, my classes have grown and so has the number of students who desperately need Jesus.
My favorite assignment every year is to ask students to write a page about what they think their relationship with God looks like. The answers are always interesting:
"I have absolutely no relationship with God ... I don't believe in religion any more. I think it's interesting, but it's a security blanket for people who want to hear there's something more out there ... I don't know if I'll think this my whole life because when I have kids, I want them to have something to believe in. I just don't want it to be a lie."
"My family and I have never really gone to church ... that is the reason I took this class, so I could understand and learn more about God."
"I think I'm confused about God. I would like to think I know Him, but I don't know if I do. Sometimes I read my Bible but then I just get more confused. I don't like church that much because I never really learn anything and sometimes the people are kind of mean."
"I struggled with depression, and I basically told God that I didn't care about Him. Then a friend of mine started to study the Bible with me and totally changed my outlook on life ... I got baptized last year."
"I took this class to find out more about religion and maybe one day it will click for me."
"My relationship with God could be looked at like a serious couple dating but not married. He is with me 90% of the time, but the other 10% is where stupid decisions come into play."
"Something in me craved guidance that was different than my parents. So I began to attend church occasionally, and this summer my faith took a big leap forward. As with many my age, I began to attend church for one reason: a girl."
"In church, I've continued to learn and grow my relationship with God and studying the Bible (writing notes, interpreting, etc.). My prayer started to be 'break my heart for what breaks Yours.'"
Please pray for my ministry with The Bible Class: for Christian students to grow incredibly in God's Word, and for God to speak through me to reach students who struggle with belief. Also please pray for financial stability for myself as I continue to teach and raise a salary for this work to continue.
If you have any interest in giving to The Bible Class, tax-deductible donations can be sent to:
Micah Ballew, The Bible Class, 1969 McDaniel Bridge Road, Lilburn, GA 30047
*You can also follow updates on The Bible Class at thebibleclass.tumblr.com